If you are a Dragon NaturallySpeaking user then you can get Audio Notetaker to transcribe your audio recordings into text. You can transcribe selected audio, sections or everything and have the text highlighted with the same colours as your audio.
You have to have Dragon NaturallySpeaking (version 11 onwards, Premium or Professional only) installed and a trained profile set up. The quality of the transcription will depend on how well Dragon has been trained to recognise the speaker and the quality of the recording. Transcription of 'unknown' voices can severely impact the quality of the transcription.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home Edition does not support the Scribe feature.
- The Scribe button will only be available (not greyed out) if a valid installation of Dragon NaturallySpeaking is detected.
- Click on the Scribe button and choose Open/Configure Speech Recognition.
- You will see a number of Dragon dialogs asking you to pick (and setup) a profile - select the profile you want to use with Audio Notetaker.
- You do not necessarily need to have the correct Dragon input device connected to your computer, just click cancel if Dragon asks to set up a new device.
- Once your profile is open click 'ok' to continue.
You can go back to the open/configure Speech Recognition option to change the profile or to close the profile once you have finished transcription. If you do not manually close the profile then it will be closed when you exit Audio Notetaker.
There are three settings options to choose from:
- Send Text to Text Pane - This sends the scribed text to the Text Pane. The text is added to the same section as the audio and will be added after any text already present.
- Send Text to Reference Pane - This sends the scribed text to the Reference Pane. The text is added to the same section as the audio and will be added after any text already present.
- Colour Text with Chunk Colour - This option colours the scribed text with the same colour used for the audio chunk.
Using Speech Recognition
Once you have opened a Dragon profile and chosen your options from settings you can begin. There are four further options to choose from:
- Selected Audio - Highlight audio chunks and only these will be transcribed.
- All Audio - This will transcribe all your audio in every section. For long recordings this can take some time to complete.
- Current Section - This transcribes the audio in the section with the audio pane cursor.
- By Colour - This brings up a dialog allowing you to select which audio chunk colours to transcribe:
- You also have the additional options of whether to transcribe selected audio, all audio or the current section (see above).